The Brazilian Biorenewables National Laboratory (LNBR) open-access facilities serve Brazilian and foreign researchers who wish to benefit from the experimental capabilities of the Laboratory to carry out their research. Research proposals are submitted through the User Portal system.
Important: The submission process described below is applicable exclusively to research in the public domain conducted by Academic Users, or by Industrial Users that do not seek intellectual protection for their research. Industrial users that want to use LNBR facilities for proprietary research may use them as a technological service or through collaborative R&D. Additional information on collaboration agreements and intellectual property rights can be found here.
The following describes the standard procedure for access to LNBR facilities. Each facility has its own submission proposal schedule. The proposal, to be evaluated by a Committee, shall request time for a specific experiment at a given facility. If approved, the user is granted time to execute it. Published results using data obtained at LNBR must acknowledge the use of the facility. The user must provide a copy of the article or thesis to LNBR.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
The proposal submission begins with the user registration at the User Portal system. To create an account, the user must enter a valid e-mail address and click on the “access” button. For the first access, the user must provide personal and professional information.
Important: This registration step is done only once at any time, regardless of the proposal submission period. The information provided can be updated at any time.
Once registered in the User Portal system, the user must click on the link “Research Proposal-Submission and Preparation” and follow the instructions. The user must choose the National Laboratory and the facility of interest and complete an online form. After submission, the proposal will be automatically forwarded to the User Support Service (SAU).
ANALYSIS OF THE RESEARCH PROPOSAL
The research proposal review process is divided into phases:
- Phase 1: Internal evaluation of the proposal by the facility coordinator to judge the technical feasibility of the proposed experiment;
- Phase 2: The facilities have an Internal Committee for Proposal Evaluation that evaluates and ranks the proposals according to the following criteria: scientific merit, staff experience, evaluation of proposals, and scientific publications from results previously obtained at LNBR. The highest-ranked proposals are recommended for time at the facility;
- Phase 3: Internal evaluation by the safety committee, the proposal that presents safety risks will have to fill out a specific safety form to be evaluated by a safety committee that will make recommendations for the execution of the experiment.
Important: Given the importance of previous scientific results for the overall evaluation process, it is recommended that users update their publications both in the User Portal system and in the CNPEM Library database. Updates to the library database should be done by sending the complete bibliographic information to the Library (produção.firstname.lastname@example.org). Publications are included after verification by library staff and the facility coordinator.
RULES AND TIPS FOR SUBMITTING PROPOSALS
Before submitting a proposal, it is recommended that users consult the website for available facilities, courses, services, and technologies, as well as specific recommendations for sample preparation, protocols, and other detailed specifications about the research proposal submission process. Consultation with the facility coordinator is highly recommended.
Only Ph.D. researchers can submit proposals. After user registration in the User Portal system, the submission pages will be available only to researchers with a Ph.D.
PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED BEFORE ARRIVING AT CNPEM
In the User Portal system
After approval of the research proposal, an e-mail is sent to the proponent with dates for scheduling and instructions, The proponent must confirm the team that will come to CNPEM, sign the term of commitment term, and fill out the safety training.
- Team confirmation – The User Portal system provides the maximum number of users allowed at each facility. The proponent is responsible to accesses the system and to define and confirm the team;
- Accommodation – A CNPEM hostel can accommodate researchers during the execution of the proposal. Reservations must be made to SAU – User Support Services through the e-mail email@example.com. After the request, the user will receive a confirmation e-mail if there is availability for the requested dates;
- Term of commitment – A Term of commitment with rules and obligations to be followed in the realization of the proposal at CNPEM will be available for signature online. Without the signature of the Term of commitment it is not possible to access the facilities;
- Security training – To access CNPEM all users must take the security training available in the User’s Portal system, in the request for arrival section. The release of the access badge to the facility is made only after the confirmation that the security training was done.
CNPEM’s Code of Conduct
During the experiment, the research proposal team must follow CNPEM’s code of conduct.
Sending of national and international samples
Users who want to bring samples or send them for the realization of the proposal at LNBR should contact the responsible for the facilities to verify the procedure.
PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED ON ARRIVAL AT THE CNPEM
- Badge collection – To collect the badge to access the facility, the user must identify him/herself at CNPEM’s central gate and go to LNBR’s reception. If the arrival at CNPEM happens at night or on weekends and holidays, an access badge to the campus will be given at the front desk, and the user will be directed to LNBR’s reception desk to exchange the badge the following morning;
- Housing key – The key must be picked up at check-in according to the arrival at CNPEM’s campus.
Every day with no entrance time restriction.
- Mon to Fri – 8 am to 5 pm – User Support Services (SAU);
- Mon to Fri – 5 pm to 8 am (during the night) – Central Entrance;
- Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays (24 hours) – Central Entrance;
- When there is a need to change apartments for any reason, the request should be made to SAU – User Support Services and outside office hours at the central gate to check availability.
During the week:
- Mon to Fri – 8 am to 5 pm – User Support Services (SAU);
- Check-out must be done until 9:30 am on the day of departure.
During the weekend
- When the departure occurs on weekends, the payment of the daily rate must be made at the SAU (User Support Services) until the Friday before the departure and the return of the keys at the campus gate on the day of departure.
- Debit card;
- Bank account deposit.
One week before coming to CNPEM to carry out the research proposal, the User’s Portal system sends an e-mail to all participants of the proposal, with information about the wi-fi access login for use during the period of the proposal. CNPEM is also part of the EDUROAM network to serve external researchers. Questions or problems with Wi-Fi access can be directed to SAU (User Support Services).
PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW AFTER THE EXPERIMENT
After the research proposal is completed, it is strongly recommended that the User fill out the Infrastructure and Services Evaluation Form that is available in the User Portal. It is the responsibility of the proposer and the principal investigator (PI) to make good use of the data made available and distributed to his collaborators.
Important: the user must declare the use of LNBR facilities in any article, thesis, or other published material that uses data obtained in the realization of his proposal. Users must also cooperate in providing such information when requested.
USER SUPPORT SERVICES (SAU)
CNPEM’s User Support Service is the contact point for National and International users of the facilities that develop research proposals in CNPEM’s Laboratories. All the efforts of the User Support Service are focused on providing support to users, from the submission of research proposals to the end of their execution.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact SAU at the times and telephones listed below:
- Business Hours: Mon to Fri, from 8 am to 5 pm;
- Location: Room 49, Administrative Building (Yellow Building) – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Telephones: +55 (19) 3512-1021 | 3512-1025;
- Whatsapp: +55 (19) 99827-9687
CNPEM OFFERS TO EXTERNAL USERS
- Parking – CNPEM Campus has its own parking lot, with 24-hour reception, which can be used by users during the period of the proposals at no cost;
- Accommodation – CNPEM has accommodation for researchers during the period of the proposals, which follows all the hygienic protocols oriented by the health agencies. Each room has a bathroom, two beds, bed linen, towels, blankets, and air conditioning. In the common area is available: TV room, pantry with refrigerator and microwave oven, laundry room with washing machine, dryer, clothesline, and iron.
The reservation is made by forwarding an e-mail to SAU. After the request, the user will receive an e-mail with the confirmation or not of the reservation.
The daily rate is BRL 55,00 per person. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner are not included in this rate. There are no service charges.
On the CNPEM campus, there is a restaurant run by a local company. Below are the meal times:
- Breakfast – Mon to Fri, from 7 am to 9 am;
- Lunch – Mon to Fri, from 11 am to 2:30 pm;
- Snack Bar – Mon to Fri, from 7 am to 9:30 pm and Saturdays from 7 am to 4 pm;
- Snack machine – 24/7.
The library is located in the administration building. The bibliographical collection consists of books, manuals, electronic media, norms, periodicals, proceedings, and thesis.
CNPEM has a First Aid service in the ambulatory located in room 01 of the lodging. This service can be accessed from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm in person or by phone F: (19) 3512-1201. After 5 pm and for any kind of emergency, extension 686 should be called.